2006 Chateau Malescot-St-Exupery, Margaux
Tasted at the property as part of a vertical tasting, the 2006 Château Malescot St Exupery is a blend of 57% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot and 4% each of Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc, picked between 25 September and 12 October. It has a detailed, quite mineral-driven bouquet with blood orange scents infusing the red berry fruit, the oak neatly integrated. The palate is well balanced with edgy red berry fruit on the entry, a stoniness underneath, a Margaux of the earth not the air. Correct and linear, with good depth and ample freshness, it actually reminds me of Brane Cantenac in style and the salinity on the finish is just wonderful. Returning after 30 minutes, you notice the acidity coming through more and more, though it is in sync with the fruit. This is a delightful Margaux to enjoy over the next 10-15 years. Tasted March 2016.
- 2015 Hans Herzog Spirit of Marlborough Merlot Cabernet, MarlboroughA$85.00 in any six
- 2019 Leeuwin Estate Prelude Chardonnay, Margaret RiverA$32.00 in any six
- 2018 Larry Cherubino Pedestal Cabernet Sauvignon, Margaret RiverA$25.00 in any six
- 2019 Tapanappa Foggy Hill Vineyard Pinot Noir, Adelaide HillsA$49.00 in any six
- 2019 Greystone Chardonnay Organic, WaiparaA$42.00 in any six
- 2018 Oakridge Vineyard Series Willowlake Pinot Noir, Yarra ValleyA$32.00 in any six