2006 Chateau Malescot-St-Exupery, Margaux
Tasted at the property as part of a vertical tasting, the 2006 Château Malescot St Exupery is a blend of 57% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot and 4% each of Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc, picked between 25 September and 12 October. It has a detailed, quite mineral-driven bouquet with blood orange scents infusing the red berry fruit, the oak neatly integrated. The palate is well balanced with edgy red berry fruit on the entry, a stoniness underneath, a Margaux of the earth not the air. Correct and linear, with good depth and ample freshness, it actually reminds me of Brane Cantenac in style and the salinity on the finish is just wonderful. Returning after 30 minutes, you notice the acidity coming through more and more, though it is in sync with the fruit. This is a delightful Margaux to enjoy over the next 10-15 years. Tasted March 2016.
- 2020 Tapanappa Tiers Vineyard Chardonnay, Adelaide HillsA$92.00 in any six
- 2019 Produttori del Barbaresco Langhe Nebbiolo, PiedmontA$65.93 in any six
- 2020 Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc, MarlboroughA$34.33 in any six
- 2019 Shadowfax Midhill Chardonnay, Macedon RangesA$47.00 in any six
- 2020 Domaine les Fouques Cotes de Provence Cuvee Tradition Rose, ProvenceA$27.00 in any six